Frequently Asked Questions


What courses are in First Year Composition?

First Year Composition consists of ENC 1101 Composition I and ENC 1102 Composition II.

What should I do if I’m trying to contact an instructor and can’t get a response?

Please wait 72 hours for a response from your instructor before sending a follow-up email. Your instructor may not respond over university breaks or closures, or after their contract ends.

If your instructor does not respond after your follow-up email, please consider contacting the Associate Director of Composition.

What should I do if I have a problem with my instructor?

You need to meet with your instructor to try to resolve the problem. If the problem is not resolved, your instructor will tell you to contact FYC administration.

The Associate Director of Composition is not able to help you until both you and your instructor have tried to resolve the concern.

Do you offer any courses that are specifically for international students?

We offer sections of ENC 1101 and ENC 1102 where half the seats are reserved for INTO students. You can find our INTO sections by searching the USF course catalog.

Grade Appeals

Who can help me if I have a question about the grade I received on a test or paper in my class?

Your instructor has complete control over all your grades in this course. You must contact them if you have a question about a grade that you received.

Who can change my final grade in a course?

Your instructor can change your final grade in a course during USF’s Confirming Grades period. FYC administrators are not able to change your course grade without committee approval (see USF System Policy 10-002).


I’d like to teach a USF FYC course. How do I apply?

An adjunct instructor job ad for 2018-2019 is available here. We’re hiring adjunct instructors to teach face-to-face Composition I and Composition II courses. Apply through Careers@USF, Job ID 13336.

Does FYC host interns?

FYC internships are occasionally available through the Department of English. Please contact the English undergraduate advisor for more information.