Student Resources

Academic Grievance Procedures for Students

The purpose of these procedures is to provide all undergraduate and graduate students taking courses within the University of South Florida System an opportunity for objective review of facts and events pertinent to the cause of the academic grievance. An “academic grievance” is a claim that a specific academic decision or action that affects that student’s academic record or status has violated published policies and procedures, or has been applied to the grievant in a manner different from that used for other students.

To pursue a grievance, first see USF’s Academic Grievance Procedures and meet with your instructor to discuss the grade grievance. Should you wish to proceed with a grade grievance after the instructor meeting, contact the Assistant Director of First Year Composition, for a grade grievance conference. In this conference, you should be prepared to specify precisely why your instructor’s specific academic decision or action has violated published policies and procedures, or has been applied to you in a manner different from that used for other students.

Academic Integrity of Students

The First Year Composition program complies with USF Regulation 3.027, Academic Integrity of Students. You may read the full regulation here.

Transfer Equivalency

USF’s English Composition consists of six (6) semester hours of approved course work in English Composition, usually ENC 1101 (Composition I) and 1102 (Composition II). Students satisfy USF’s English Composition requirement by earning a letter grade of “C-” or better in ENC 1101 and ENC 1102 at USF, or their equivalent at another institution.

Some students qualify for exemption from ENC 1101 and/or ENC 1102, either because they have taken equivalent courses or because they have received scores on exams that have been deemed equivalent by the Florida SUS Articulation Coordinating Committee.

If you have graduated with an AA/AS from a Florida community college and still have not received credit for your composition course, please call Dr. Jody Conway in the TRAC office: (813) 974-2645.

Courses Typically Considered Equivalent to ENC 1101 and/or ENC 1102:

Equivalent composition courses are writing intensive, with coursework centered on three or four research-based essays. Additionally, the equivalent course must meet the following USF Gordon Rule Requirements:

An integral part of writing instruction is the opportunity to revise documents in response to feedback, so students should revise at least some course writing assignments after receiving feedback from faculty or graders assigned to the course. At a minimum, students should write 4500 words for each course, excluding assignments for which students do not receive any feedback. At least one assignment should include submission of a revision in response to substantive teacher/grader feedback. All stages of such papers count toward the 4500 word minimum.

You may request an exemption if you answer “yes” to the following questions:

  1. You took the course from an accredited university or college and earned a “C-” or better.
  2. You wrote at least 4500 words for which the instructor provided feedback and which you revised for a new grade.
  3. At a minimum, 70% of the class grade was attributed to the 4500-word essay that was reviewed at least twice by your instructor.

Requesting an Exemption:

If you believe you qualify for an exemption from ENC 1101 and/or ENC 1102, please follow these steps:

  1. Contact your advisor in your major to see if they believe your credits should transfer.
  2. If the advisor approves, submit the following to Mike Stowe ( in the English Department:
  • A completed Transfer Evaluation Request Form
  • A syllabus from the institution where you took the course
  • Evidence of your grade in the course
  • Evidence of transferred course audit

You will be notified once the English Department approves or rejects your request.

Decision appeals should be directed to the Dean of Students.

Exemption Due to Exam Scores:

Visit the Undergraduate Studies Credit-by-Exam Equivalents page to determine what exams and scores USF views as equivalent to ENC 1101 and/or ENC 1102.

If you have questions about your exams and their equivalents, please contact Michael Stowe (

For students to receive credit for their test scores, they need to have their test scores sent to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of South Florida
4202 East Fowler Ave., SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620-6900